Notepad++ Secrets: Extra Features
© 2012, Martin Rinehart
Don Ho was not happy with his coding editor. Being a C++ programmer he decided to do something about the problem. The result: programmer's editor Notepad++.
Don has called Notepad++ a replacement for Notepad. That's like calling Sir Paul McCartney a bass player. It's a correct statement, but so understated that it misses the point.
Notepad++ is a capable, multi-lingual, professional programmers' editor. It's chief fault is that it is so easy to use you may entirely overlook its rich array of high-end capabilities. In these pages, we'll shine a light on a few of them.
This corner of this website is our way of thanking Don for a tool we use every day.
Features Hiding in Plain Sight
- Sessions—A Default with Other Uses
- Bookmarks—Not Like Browser Bookmarks
- Shortcuts—Making Notepad++ Your Own
- Macros—"Program" Your Own Commands
- View Source—Launch Notepad++ from Your Browsers
- Vertical Lines—Our Monitors Are Still Too Small!
- Block—It's Not Just a Line Editor
- Tabs—Use Them and View Them
- Settings—Explore This Menu!
- Search Extended—Searching Across Multiple Lines
- Search Regex—Searching Across Variables
- Find in Files—Edit Multiple Pages in One Command
Feedback: MartinRinehart at gmail dot com.
# # #